Friday, July 11, 2008

On My Way

So, I started my trip to Brisbane around 8:00 am Central Time on Thursday. It is now 11:00 am Central Time on Friday. Long trip, for sure. We have about four more hours on the plane until we touch down in Australia.

The trip has been fairly uneventful so far. The flight from Austin to LA was pretty good. I slept and read the entire time. It took me about half an hour to figure out which terminal to go to after I arrived in LA. The LA airport is kind of scary. Police with machine guns plus seeing two people get arrested does not equal calm nerves. In any case, my 12-hour layover was pretty uneventful and seemed much shorter than it actually was. I met a guy going to Griffith University for the semester. It was nice to find someone to talk to during that time. Two more DU students (Becca and Beth) arrived around 8 and we were able to get someone to switch seats on the plane so we could sit together.

The crowds for World Youth Day are still pretty crazy and there is a very big group on our flight. I’m assuming they’re connecting to Sydney once we land in Brisbane.

There was a problem with the plane once we had boarded, so it took an extra hour to get that worked out. The captain says we should still arrive in Brisbane on time. They served dinner about an hour into the flight. Not the best meal ever, but certainly not bad. I slept for about 6 or 7 hours off and on. According to my calculations (and by that I mean the clock I have set to Brisbane time on my computer) we should be landing in about 4 hours. Hopefully, they’ll be serving breakfast soon. I’m starting to get pretty hungry and I’m very glad I stayed awake for dinner.

We’ll see if I can get a picture up for this post. My camera was out of battery power (Jordan is almost certainly making fun of me for this). Becca took a few though and I’ll probably just steal one from her.

It’s really starting to hit me that I’m going to be in Australia when this plane lands! Lots of nerves and excitement all rolled together.

Not much else to report here. I just got finished watching a movie, so my computer is about out of battery life. Hopefully I’ll be able to fall back asleep for a little while. Hope all is well with everyone. More posts later this weekend.

Nicole


Update: I arrived in Brisbane safely and am getting all settled in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great detail. wonderful wonderful.

haha. lurve you bye.

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it safe and sound! The LAX airport seemed to wild for my comfort,and I'm thinking you're safer in Brisbane. Waiting for pictures! Love you, Mom

Sheila said...

Hi Doll,

Happy to read you made it safe.

Man what a time you had at LAX. We were there last August and it was nothing as you describe. How quickly our world changes.

Safe adventures and keep on bloggin'.

Love ya,
She