Monday, October 6, 2008

New Zealand- Day 7: Monday, October 6th

We got about 7:30 in the morning to go fill the car with gas and return it to the rental place. After filling up the car Jordan took me back to the hotel. You should read his blog for his side of the story from that point. I went back to sleep when I got back to the hotel and slept until about 10:30. I got up and showered and went downstairs to the restaurant for some breakfast. Jordan finally got back to the hotel around 11:30 or so. After he showered and relaxed a little bit we headed out into Christchurch to see the city.

The main area of the city is Cathedral Square. After walking around there a little bit we headed over to the Arts Centre to see some of the Maori art. By this time we were both getting a little hungry, so we decided to try to find a place selling pies. These are a NZ favorite. It’s pretty much just a really light, flaky pastry with some kind of savory filling. Neither of us had had one yet, so we were interested in trying them. The guide book said to try a place called ‘Copenhagen Bakery’ which was just up the street. They’ve won several awards for the pies they sell. By the time we got there they had sold out a lot of the pies. We both had a steak pie since that was the majority of what they had left. They were really great. There’s a NZ couple that has started up pie shops in a couple of the ski resorts in Colorado and they are supposed to open one at Copper (where we ski most weekends) this ski season. After having the pies here we are really excited for this to open at Copper. Pies seem like really good ski food to me because you can eat them quickly and they are really tasty and filling.

After our pie adventure we headed back to the hotel to hang out for a bit. We made plans to meet up with Leslie and Brittany later that day for dinner. I wrote a couple of blog posts for the week and uploaded the first day’s worth of pictures.
At 6:15 we headed back to Cathedral Square to meet Leslie and Brittany. This time around we noticed a large purple sculpture that looked strikingly like a sperm. In fact, upon closer inspection and reading the blurb about it next to the sculpture we discovered that it was, in fact, a giant sperm. There were people coming out of it (some kind of metaphor about life). According to Leslie and Brittany there had been little kids playing on it all afternoon. We had a good laugh about it and wondered what these parents were telling their kids this was- perhaps a sea creature?

We headed off toward the Arts Centre to get dinner at a placed called Dux De Lux. The food was pretty tasty, but they were out of the first two things Jordan tried to order, which I think he was a little disappointed about. After dinner and some good conversation we headed back to the hotel to show Leslie and Brittany our spiffy room. We had drinks in the bar downstairs and called it a night after that.
We had to be up at 3:30 this morning for our 6:15 flight back to Brisbane.

So, that’s the end of our adventures in New Zealand. I’m kind of sad to go. The entire trip was just incredible and I already want to come back. You could easily spend a couple of months just traveling around the two islands. Next time I come I’ll definitely be checking out the North Island. If it’s even half as spectacular as the South Island it will be worth it. We were discussing at dinner the pros and cons between coming to Australia vs. coming to New Zealand. All I can say is that this trip has probably been one of the top things I’ve done on my study abroad and I am so glad I got the chance to come! Australia has been really cool, but I think after going to Cairns and diving in a couple of weeks I won’t need to come back for any reason. So, if you decide to make a trip to New Zealand, let me know. We can give you some great pointers for where to go!

I’ve got a lot of work to do between getting back and when my mom and sister come next week. I’m not looking forward to the work, but I’m really excited to see them and show them around Brissy. This is probably my last post for a couple of weeks (until we get back from Cairns). I hope you all enjoyed reading about our trip. Have fun looking at the pictures when they’re all loaded. There are almost 500 of them. Oh, and when you look at the pictures, make sure you click on the actual album and start from the top. When you go straight to the site it shows the last pictures uploaded first, so everything will be backwards. It might be easiest to read a post and then look at the pictures from that day. I think that’s pretty much it. Hope everyone is doing well!

Nicole

No comments: